Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Completely, totally awesome new blankets!

Ok, I haven't been this excited about our blankets in a long time. I'm so accustomed to sewing with traditional baby patterns -- cute animals, cute ocean-theme, cute bears, cute flowers -- that anything outside of the realm of "cute" has been foreign to me for a while. I am *so* not a cute person... never was and never will be. I can fawn over cutesy baby stuff with the next mom but I'll be honest when I say that clothing involving the words pink, frilly and lace will never adorn my little girl. Ever.

Well, ok, maybe a little pink. As long as it doesn't have ruffles or lace on it.

Anyway, in a kind of mini-rebellion against cute I went out and bought some fantastic new fabrics (from FabricByTheYard on Etsy) that I couldn't wait to make into some mod blankets. They're not completely done yet but I felt like I had to show them in their partly-finished state.

The first blanket is a small snuggle blanket that measures 17" square. The four squares are brown dot minky, dark pink dot minky, pink fluff and pink satin; it's backed by the coolest brown/pink paisley satin I've ever seen! The second blanket is from the mod fabric I purchased -- it's 24" x 27" and is backed by the softest chocolate swirl fabric I've ever worked with. How cool is that? The last blanket is a small snuggle blanket that comes in the chocolate mod paisley pattern and is backed by the brown swirl minky. So, what do you guys think?

I'm working on some quilts that include the fabric and I'll definitely be using the fabric to make some awesome burp cloths! Hope you guys come out to see us on Mother's Day in Lake Eola!

No comments: